Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Intent, Visualize - Everything's Possible !


When I went for Nithya Yoga classes in Singapore, our teachers gave us a hand-out with about 12 postures drawn on it and each are supposed to be done 6 times. My mind immediately started calculating, which means 72 times! How long will it take, I have not even had breakfast and I have a huge stomach after the c-section and nice tiers around my tummy. How can I bend and touch the floor...Even in the yoga shown in television, they don’t do more than 3-4 postures in 30 minutes!!!!
Teachers said encouragingly, just “Intent and Visualize” and do it as you can. To my surprise I could do even the most complicated postures (as it appeared to me in the beginning) with much ease and grace. Nithya Yoga has an intelligent sequence; each posture prepared me for the next. It gave me the confidence that I can do anything even the most impossible as it would look with the right “Intention and Visualization”.

Now you may tell me … no way! I cannot believe this. Ok, try this simple experiment yourself.
Stand straight; raise your right hand and point at something straight in front. Now look at the pointed index finger and turn your body clockwise, rotate as much as you can within your comfort level and mark where you reached, come back to normal position. Now, visualize in your mind you rotating clockwise as much as you can. Come back to normal position in mind. Now repeat what you did earlier with the pointed finger. See the difference yourself. In my 1st attempt, I could rotate only about 200 degrees and after the visualization, I turned about 320 degrees. This is the power of visualization in such a small activity.

Let me copy and paste a few words of Nithyananda ,the architect of Nithya Yoga himself,” One of the beautiful revelations in Nithya Yoga, and the effectiveness of it, depends completely on our intention.

Whether we believe it or not, we are an expression of our own self-hypnosis! Anyway we move the body with the faith that this or that will happen in us, simply it will start expressing in us. The way in which we choose to move our body with this intention is irrelevant. If we wish to practice yoga postures with the intention and belief that we are blissful, this is what will be inscribed in our system and start expressing. “

Did you watch the movie “The secret” which talks about the power intention and visualization can have in your life? Well, the right intention and visualization can bring almost anything to us if done in a meditative state. When I visualized each of the postures before I actually did it with the right intention I could actually do all the postures gracefully. And when I tried to pick one posture without really following the real harmonious flow as described in Nithya Yoga, my body refused to do it, I was not comfortable.

So here I am with these great insights of Nithya Yoga.
1. Intent and Visualize in a meditative state ... Everything is possible to you.
2. Yoga postures are best done as the harmonious and intelligent sequence as described by the original yoga architects. Anyone can do it, may you be 6 or 60.

Thanks Nithyananda, you are amazing.

No comments: